Psychometrician / Statistician
Are you a psychometrician OR do you have a statistics, maths, economics, psychology background and are interested in further developing yourself as a psychometrician?
With an ability to carry out high quality, complex analyses and an interest in applying this to a variety of assessment, research and development projects, you’ll be joining a growing team making an impact on education worldwide.
The National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER) is the UK’s leading independent provider of education research and insights, working to create an excellent education for all children and young people. Our mission is to generate evidence that can be used to improve outcomes for future generations everywhere, and to support positive change across the education system.
You’ll work with a variety of different research teams across NFER, and be involved in a number of psychometric, statistical and strategic areas covering many new and exciting areas of work. You'll accurately measure the development, skills, attitudes, opinions, wellbeing and behaviours of pupils, students, practitioners and senior leaders for our research and assessment work. Our Psychometricians play a vital role in making sure that our measures and assessments are valid and reliable.
We are looking for a Psychometrician / Statistician keen to specialise their psychometric knowledge within an organisation at the centre of educational research and assessment in the UK. If you have little or no relevant experience in psychometrics, a development program will form part of your ongoing training.
- Contribute to a number of different research or development projects, working independently to meet deadlines;
- Take responsibility for specific aspects of project work, as agreed with the project director or project leader, including writing project materials and the design of research/assessment instruments;
- Assist in conducting quantitative research;
- Conduct psychometric and statistical analysis of research and assessment data;
- Contribute to writing project reports and other research outcomes;
- Contribute to the development of proposals;
You can find out more about life as a Psychometrician in our blog on our website.
- Salary £30,880 – £34,756 depending on experience, with generous pension scheme
- 42 days’ holiday per year comprising 30 days’ holiday, four additional discretionary days, in addition to bank holidays
- Positive working culture that promotes a good work/life balance
- Easy access to major transport hubs including London Heathrow, good links with Paddington and Waterloo, close to Windsor with free parking
- Excellent support for professional development from a network of fellow researchers
- Qualified in psychometrics, statistics or a highly numerate subject; preferably with a higher degree in a relevant discipline (minimum 2:1 grade)
- Understand classical test theory, equating, linking and item response theory, or a willingness/ability to learn
- Experienced user of statistical software, ideally R and SPSS but including other statistical packages such as FlexMirt, MPlus or other IRT packages
You’ll love this job if you have the ability:
- To ensure the quality of your psychometrician or statistical outputs
- To approach analysis of data in a practical and well-organised manner
- To work quickly and accurately to meet deadlines
- To communicate analysis findings to a variety of audiences
- To work flexibly as a member of a team with an interest in education or general social science research
If you are a trained Psychometrician working in education we want to hear from you but equally, if you have a background in economics, psychology, stats with strong quant skills looking to go in this direction or have been working in the health, environment or another sector looking to focus on education, we are also very keen to hear from you.
NFER is a not-for-profit organisation and an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all sections of the community.
This role is open for Tier 2 sponsorship.
So, if you are looking for a fresh, new challenge as a Psychometrician / Statistician, apply via the button shown.
Application closes on midnight Sunday 12th July.
This vacancy has been placed by Webrecruit on behalf of NFER.
The National Foundation for Educational Research in England and Wales. Head office and registered address: The Mere, Upton Park, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 2DQ
Recruitment enquiries: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
General enquiries: Telephone: +44(0)1753 574123 | Fax:+44(0)1753 691632 | Email: email@example.com
Product enquiries: Telephone: +44(0)1753 637007 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research participant enquiries: Telephone: +44(0)1753 637096 | Email: email@example.com
Registered charity number 313392. Registered number 900899 (England and Wales). A company limited by guarantee.