Slough, Berkshire or York, Yorkshire (with hybrid, remote or office working)
Are you a Software Tester / Test Analyst and want to make a positive, lasting impact with a leading charity?
NFER is an independent and highly respected charity that carries out research within education. Our robust and innovative research, assessment and other services are widely known and used. We have a reputation as an organisation that informs policy and practice, helping to ensure the best possible education for children and young people.
As the Software Tester, you’ll develop, implement and document test plans for requirements and systems, as well as recommend best practices for solutions based on client’s business needs. You’ll have knowledge of implementing and managing the test plans, distributing and pursuing the assigned task within a team and internal and external clients. Projects will involve hands-on testing and potentially some development to meet the requirements identified.
Key responsibilities will be:
- Writing, executing and managing the test plans
- Working closely with developers on QA during development and deployment, taking ownership of software/systems, testing plans to identify errors and root cause, including offering solutions
- Creation and development of test scripts and cases
- Bug fixes and tracking
- Develop, implement and document test plans for IT software and systems
- Evaluate IT systems for potential threats to security
- Generating and gaining agreement from governance and design authority stakeholders
- Providing support/guidance for business/user-focused testing
- Providing staff training and knowledge transfer to client staff
Your technical background:
- Expert in the use of one or more software testing tools
- Experience working with Microsoft .NET technologies
- Good experience covering web applications
You’ll love this job, if you have:
- Experience working within an Agile delivery model
- Knowledge of test automation best practice for compatibility, functionality, performance, regression, integration and risk-based testing
- Industry qualification in data management and software testing
- Ability to work effectively in a pressured situation and to tight deadlines
- An innovative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Takes pride in work and has good attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to disseminate knowledge
Other titles for this role may include Software Tester, Software Test Engineer, IT Software Tester, Software Application Tester, Software Quality Analyst, Test Analyst, or Software Quality Engineer.
NFER has a worldwide reputation as a leading independent provider of education research and analysis. We are a registered charity that has contributed evidence, in-depth knowledge, and research expertise to support the creation of an excellent education for all children and young people for over seventy-five years. Improving the lives of children and young people is at the heart of everything we do.
- Salary £32,000 - £36,000 DOE
- 42 days’ holiday per year including Bank Holidays + additional discretionary days (pro rata)
- Generous pension scheme and life assurance
- Excellent support for professional development
- Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility and hybrid working
- UK based and UK Skilled Worker sponsorship
- Plus, lots of well-being and social activities
Hybrid working - You’ll be linked to our Slough office with minimal requirement for office-based days meaning you can choose to work at home, from the office or a mix of the two to enable you to work as effectively as you can.
We are reviewing applications regularly as part of an ongoing recruitment process.
NFER is a not-for-profit organisation and an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you’re looking for a place where you can put your heart, soul and skills into making a difference, we want to hear from you. Apply via the button shown.
This vacancy has been placed by Webrecruit on behalf of NFER.
The National Foundation for Educational Research in England and Wales. Head office and registered address: The Mere, Upton Park, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 2DQ
Recruitment enquiries: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
General enquiries: Telephone: +44(0)1753 574123 | Fax:+44(0)1753 691632 | Email: email@example.com
Product enquiries: Telephone: +44(0)1753 637007 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research participant enquiries: Telephone: +44(0)1753 637096 | Email: email@example.com
Registered charity number 313392. Registered number 900899 (England and Wales). A company limited by guarantee.